Monday, November 15, 2010

Today and Every Day

November 17 is Prematurity Awareness Day
Today was a day to remember and celebrate premature babies.  November is The March of Dimes' Prematurity Awareness Month.  I am a lucky mama of twins who, though born 6 weeks early, had a relatively short NICU stay, and are hitting milestones somewhere between their actual and adjusted age.  

Despite the luck, I had a rough go of it during the early weeks.  Leaving my boys in the hospital while I was discharged was one of the most harrowing things I've ever had to do.  I grieved the loss of my babies on a cellular level, while on a rational level I knew right where they were.  But they were away from me, and that felt wrong.  Prematurity is hard on the babies born early, and the mamas made early, despite good luck and the grace of God.  

Some mamas aren't lucky.  Some mamas lose their premature babies.  With them we grieve, with them we celebrate the lives that slipped away too soon.  

Hug a preemie today.  Or better yet, give one a nice pat on the leg and keep your germs to yourself!

2 comments:

  1. My daughter was born 6 weeks early, too. And on the day that I was discharged, a nurse who wasn't aware of my situation asked me if I needed help with the carseat. I broke down in tears in the hallway. Not fun.

    My daughter is a healthy 5 1/2 year old today. You would never guess she was early. But I will always know it. And I will also know that in spite of all that, I got off really easy compared to most preemie moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I'm glad your daughter is doing well! We are lucky mamas.

    ReplyDelete